Friday, July 24, 2015

Children's Books are Actually Great: Lizzie

Hi guys! It's Lizzie! So fun fact about me: I actually really love children's books, or specifically: middle grade books. So much of YA fiction is so dark and twisted and filled with crazy romance, and picking up a middle grade novel once in a while can be kind of refreshing. Also, the nostalgia is intense. So intense. There's just something whimsical about children's books and reading from the point of view of a child.

So, I've decided to break down a list of the most important children's books in my life from Preschool to 6th grade. Feel free to use this list as a recommendation for your own children or to give yourself a nostalgic magical journey!

Preschool-Kindergarten:

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

glogster.com
The Chronicles of Narnia is an old and beloved children's classic. I haven't actually read all of the books, for I was too young to read when I heard them on audio tapes my mom brought home from the library, but that doesn't stop me from loving the books. My favorite used to be The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (I had a big crush on Eustace), but my favorite is easily The Horse and His Boy Now.

Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder

goodreads.com
Again, didn't actually read this myself. Before I had started school my mom used to read me them all the time. I absolutely loved Laura, and this series is adorable. It's family oriented, adventurous, and funny. Laura is completely relatable (four year old me hated my brown hair, too), and her story will warm my heart more than any other.

First Grade:

 Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park

juniebjones.com
Ehh! Anyone surprised this book is on the list? If so, get out. My first grade teacher didn't have a lot of stuff in his room, so whenever we had to have inside recess or a break time he'd read us one of the gazillion Junie B. books. They are a side buster of laughter. (And good for early reader since they're very small.)

Second Grade:

 The Magic Tree House Series by Mary Pope Osborne

amazon.com

I know, I'm carting out all sorts of obscure children's books aren't I? Wait for it, I'll have a couple. The Magic Tree House Series is excellent. It's full of adventure and heart, and guess what? It teaches your child a ton about history. Each book is set in a different time period, and countless adventures embark. This series led to the creation of "magic bunk bed" at my house, since we didn't have a tree house.

The Box Car Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner

amazon.com

Another classic. The Box Car children are the best. Literally, they live in a box car the entire first book. No adults. They make their little home super cute and honestly little me couldn't wait to live in a box car. The stories are very sweet and family oriented like Little House too.

Third Grade:

Andrew Lost Series by J.C. Greenburg


amazon.com
I remember this series very fondly. It's about these two cousins that always end up misusing a relative's science experiments and equipment. They end up in a lot of wacky situations, like shrinking down and time traveling to the ice age! There's science and it's kind of gross sometimes...but as a nine year old I thought it was pretty cool. I'll be honest I'm not planning on ever re-reading these, but for a ten year old kid- these are gems.

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

snicket.wikia.com
Funny story, in third grade when I started reading these I actually read them backwards. I had this crazy notion that one did not have to read the books in the series in order. Then my mom decided after we watched half of the movie that these books were much too gruesome. I think I finished 9. However, these books are so cool! They're fabulous, and I really need to re-read them.

Andrew Clements

theliteratemother.org
If you haven't read Andrew Clements books then you need to. They are phenomenal. Just read them.

Fourth Grade:

 Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

riordan.wikia.com
Ahh yes, fourth grade, the year I discovered fantasy. Mock me all you want folks, but Percy Jackson and his friends will remain in my heart for a long time. The series is action packed, hilarious, full of amazing characters, and Greek Mythology!!! Rick Riordan also has lots of themes about each child being a hero, someone special, despite their disabilities which is great.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

amazon.com
In fourth grade I read this book in a month which was somewhat to be expected I think since the reading level was four grades above me. Our librarian told me that if the book took m longer than two weeks to read I'd flunk the AR test. Guess who aced the AR test? Anyway, this is a really sweet book about friendship and overcoming the darkness in your life. It's a very beautiful book, and I would highly recommend it.

The Penderwicks Series by Jeanne Birdsall

en.wikipedia.org
The Penderwicks! This series is about a family with four little girls. They find themselves in all sort of mischief and always get out. They're all very different from each other, and it really brings a healthy, wonderful sense of family into them.

Fifth Grade:

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

en.wikipedia.org
I really don't think I have to say much about these right? It's Harry Potter. Come on. A series beloved by children and adults of all ages and pretty much a modern classic.

Molly Moon by Georgia Byng

mollymoon.wikia.com
These books are so fun! They're about Miss Molly Moon, an orphan who discovers a book that teaches her the incredible powers of Hypnotism. She uses her powers to make her orphanage a better place, and along the course of the series our little heroine finds a family and saves the world! This is a really good series for little girls and boys because it's just as much a coming of age novel as it is a fantasy. As Molly grows to believe in herself, they may too.

The Companions' Quartet by Julia Golding

amazon.co.uk
This series is an undiscovered gem, and it quite literally pains me that it has not received the attention it deserves. I discovered it the summer before fifth grade when I was suffering from post Percy Jackson depression. The series is about a secret society of people that protect and bond with the magical creatures of myth that everyone believes to have either gone extinct or never existed. It's a four book series, and I hold it very close to my heart. I've probably re read them just as much Percy Jackson.

Sixth Grade:

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

themysteriousbenedictsociety.com
Christine actually introduced these books to me, and let me tell you, they are fantastic. They're full of mystery, puzzles, craziness, and adventure. There are loveable characters, interesting villains, and to be honest, it kind of feels like a Tim Burton movie. Christine and I love these books very, very much, so we HIGHLY recommend.

And there you guys go! All of my highly recommended children's books for mothers, fathers, and lovers of children's books! Hope you enjoy, and if you have a children's book I didn't list, put it in the comments , and if I get enough I might just make a whole new article of your recommendations!

Remember that you can follow via tumblr, email, or blogger! Also, we've got a pole for content at the top left of the page for you. Bye!

-Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment